Have you ever come across an expression that made you stop in your tracks, ponder it for a moment, and then say to yourself “How true!”? I love reading those expressions; they’re little bits of wisdom expressed so precisely that they give you insight into your own beliefs or teach you a different perspective on an issue.
I’ve been collecting expressions since I was a teenager. A number of years ago I began compiling them into one of those blank-pages books you can buy yourself at the bookstore. I call it my “book of wisdom.” Within its pages are pearls of knowledge that help me through situations that would otherwise drive me batty.
• When I talk too much or feel the need to gossip I think . . . “I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.” –Publius
• When I find a situation too hard . . . “Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.” -Marlene vosSavant
• When I feel misunderstood . . . “Never explain – your friends do not need it and your enemies won’t believe you anyway.” -Elbert Hubbard
• When I screw up . . . “A mistake is simply another way of doing things.” -Katherine Graham
• And for my egotistical moments . . . “Always remember you’re unique, just like everyone else. –Unknown
As I look through my pages, I find just the right bit of wisdom to suit the situation at hand. I’ve enjoyed the discovery of each and every one of my entries. I’ve also enjoyed going back and rereading these gems of knowledge suited just for me. When I’m gone, my family will have this little book of hand-written sayings (and some poems) and once read, will get an idea of who I was and what I stood for. I encourage each of you to find and embrace those things that bring you joy. Remember… “Live your life as an exclamation, not an explanation.” –Unknown.
Guest Blogger Terri Closs has recently reinvented herself by becoming a Professional Organizer and starting her own business As You Wish Organizing, LLC. – a company dedicated to helping Seniors and Boomers live the life they choose. She has been a proud supporter of A Beautiful Me® since its inception.