St. Clair County TEC students brought home 25 medals from the state SkillsUSA competitions held in Lansing and Grand Rapids the weekends of April 5 and April 12. Collectively, TEC had 62 students compete in the state competitions this year. “We are very proud of all of our Skills students and the hard work they put in during after school practice sessions with their dedicated instructors and para pros,” said Pat Yanik, director of Career and Technical Education at St. Clair County RESA, which operates TEC.
A list of winners:
Auto Technology: Instructors Jason Belfinger and Brian Hunter, para pros Alex Super and Chad Moore.
- Brakes: Dalton May, Port Huron High Junior – GOLD
- Auto Service Technology Overall: Robert Plonka, St. Clair High Senior – GOLD
- Auto Service Technology Overall: Grant Smith, Marine City High Senior – BRONZE
Cosmetology: Instructor Joyce Livesay.
- Cosmetology: Hannah McGregor, Algonac High Senior – BRONZE
Culinary Arts: Instructor Vincent Salvatore
- Culinary Arts: Jasmine Schuette, Yale High Junior – BRONZE
Digital Media Technology: Instructor Keely Baribeau and para pro Ann Frederick.
- Audio Production Team: Lindell George, Memphis High Senior and Deven Potter, Yale High Junior – SILVER
- Audio Production Team: Amanda Maul, Port Huron Northern Senior and Eric Brown, Algonac High Junior – BRONZE
Mechatronics: Instructor Bob Timmerman and para pro Joe Hall
- Mechatronics Team: Mitchell Thompson, Marysville High Senior and Andrew DeVigili, Marysville High – Senior – BRONZE
Metal Machining Technology: Instructor Duane Emig and Para Pro Marv Koob.
- CNC Turning: Justin McMeekin, Port Huron High Senior – GOLD
- CNC Turning: Cory Pitcher, St. Clair High Senior – BRONZE
- CNC Milling: Garret Brenton, Port Huron Northern Senior – GOLD
- CNC Milling: Nick Brassfield, Landmark Academy Junior – BRONZE
- CNC Technician: Dan Williamson, St. Clair High Senior – GOLD
- CNC Technician: Ryan Rodzos, Capac High Junior – SILVER
- Precision Machining Bench and Grind Job Specific: Jake Marsh, Marysville High Junior – GOLD
Teacher Exploration: Instructor Tom Koehler.
- Leadership: Anthony Murphy, Marine City High Senior – GOLD
- Chapter Display Team: Teacher Exploration students: Sirissa Koebke, Port Huron High Senior; Eric Beauchamp, Port Huron High Senior and Welding student: Glenn Elliott, Port Huron High Senior – GOLD
Welding Technology: Instructor Jeff Holsworth and para pro Paul Mason
- ARC Welding: Raymond Wisniewski, Marine City High Junior – BRONZE
- Gas Welding: William Zeeman, Marysville High Junior - GOLD
- MIG Welding: Rick Nemitz, Marysville High Senior – BRONZE
Seven Gold medalists will go on to represent the state of Michigan at the National SkillsUSA competition. Medalists Koebke, Beauchamp, Elliot, McMeekin, Brenton, Williamson and Plonka will compete in Kansas City in June. Several categories do not have national competitions. SkillsUSA is a national non-profit organization serving more than 310,000 high school and college students who participate in training programs that include skilled trades, technical and service occupations. The SkillsUSA competition is an annual event designed to gauge students’ mastery of a variety of career-oriented skills as they prepare for careers in skilled trades, technical and service occupations. St. Clair County TEC is operated by the St. Clair County Regional Educational Service Agency. Information about TEC programs is available by calling TEC at (810) 455-1010 or going to its website, www.sctec.org.