Confirmed COVID-19 cases as of April 16th at 5:30 PM are as follows:
- State of Michigan: 29,263 confirmed cases; 2,093 deaths
- St. Clair County: 256 confirmed cases; 8 deaths
- Ontario: 8,961confirmed cases; 423 deaths
- Sarnia-Lambton: 128 confirmed cases; 11 deaths
A press release from the St. Clair County Sheriff’s office confirmed a total of 7 inmates have tested positive for the Coronavirus at the St. Clair County Intervention and Detention Center. Those inmates have been isolated from the general population in the facility.
In addition, two corrections deputies and one nurse at the IDC have tested positive. All three are off duty until they are recovered from the virus. “We continue to monitor inmates and staff for Coronavirus symptoms per the guidelines laid out by the CDC and the St. Clair County Emergency Operations Center,” said Sheriff Tim Donnellon. “Unfortunately, no location is immune from this virus. Our medical staff, which is on hand 24/7, will continue to work to ensure the safety of our employees and inmates.” As of today, none of those infected have needed hospitalization.
Sarnia is reporting more than one outbreak at institutions caring for the elderly. The first at Landmark Village has 23 confirmed cases, including seven staff and 16 residents. At this time, six of the eleven deaths attributed to COVID-19 in Sarnia are linked to the retirement home. An
additional institutional outbreak at Lambton Meadowview Villa located in Petrolia has also been confirmed.
Please continue to rely on reputable sources for information on COVID-19:
- Centers for Disease Control: cdc.gov/coronavirus
- State of Michigan: Michigan.gov/coronavirus or Info Hotline 1-888-535-6136 Daily 8:00 am – 5:00 pm or email questions to
- St. Clair County Health Department: COVID-19 Info Hotline (810) 966-4163 Mon – Fri, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm or email questions to
- St. Clair County Community Mental Health COVID-19 Support Line (810) 985-8900, available Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Lambton Public Health: https://lambtonpublichealth.ca/2019-novel-coronavirus/
- City of Sarnia COVID-19 Hotline: 1-877-4-SARNIA (1-877-472-7642)
Reporting for WGRT – Jessie Wiegand