Be Aware of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning as Home Heating Season Begins

Winter is coming, and with the colder temperatures come an increase in carbon monoxide poisonings. Michigan residents are asked to be vigilant in protecting their families against the life-threatening danger. CO poisoning symptoms are headache, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea and confusion.

State Fire Marshal Kevin Sehlmeyer warns, “Working carbon monoxide detectors save lives. Only 1 in 8 families in the United States have a functioning carbon monoxide detector. Michigan residents should install a detector today to protect our loved ones from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and poisonous gas known as the ‘Invisible Killer; it requires an electronic sensor to detect.” 

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, residents should make sure they have working carbon monoxide detectors with fresh batteries, have furnaces and woodburning stoves inspected every year, and remember to never run a gasoline or propane heater or a cooking grill inside a home or unventilated garage.

Reporting for WGRT – Jennie McClelland