St. Clair County, MI — Lambton County, Ontario
Cumulative confirmed COVID-19 cases as of July 24th, 2020 at 9:00 AM are as follows:
- State of Michigan: 75,947 confirmed cases; 6,148 deaths
- St. Clair County: 575 confirmed cases; 52 deaths
- Ontario: 38,210 confirmed cases; 2,755 deaths
- Sarnia-Lambton: 292 confirmed cases; 25 deaths
St. Clair County currently has 59 active cases of the virus, and 1% of hospital beds in the county are being used for COVID-19 patients. There have been 44 new total cases of COVID-19 in St. Clair County in the last 7 days, with an increase of 6.3 cases on average per day.
Justin Westmiller, Director of St. Clair County Homeland Security and Emergency Management, said in a Facebook Live video Thursday afternoon that the county is seeing a steady rise in cases since mid-June. He encouraged residents to adhere to the mask mandate along with social distancing to prevent the spread of the virus, and he also said that a face shield does not offer the same protection as a mask for those around you.
Sarnia currently has 6 active cases. Though that number is low, it is the highest number of active cases in the area since the end of May. There are no current outbreaks in long-term care facilities.
Effective today, the Government of Ontario and the Chief Medical Officer of Health have moved Sarnia-Lambton into Stage 3 of the Framework for Reopening our Province. Municipal buildings will reopen on July 27th, and Sarnia Transit will move to Saturday level transit service on weekdays effective August 4th with a full reinstatement of transit services planned for September 6th. Park and playground equipment will reopen on August 1st.
*** It is important to note that WGRT is continuing to report confirmed cases from each area, not total cases which are a combination of confirmed and probable cases. We have chosen to approach the data this way to simplify our reports and to create uniformity in the numbers we are reporting for each region, St.Clair County, Lambton County, Michigan, and Ontario.
Please continue to rely on reputable sources for information on COVID-19:
- Centers for Disease Control: cdc.gov/coronavirus
- State of Michigan: Michigan.gov/coronavirus or Info Hotline 1-888-535-6136 Daily 8:00 am – 5:00 pm or email questions to
- St. Clair County Health Department: COVID-19 Info Hotline (810) 966-4163 Mon – Fri, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm or email questions to
- St. Clair County Community Mental Health COVID-19 Support Line (810) 985-8900, available Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Lambton Public Health: https://lambtonpublichealth.ca/2019-novel-coronavirus/
- City of Sarnia COVID-19 Hotline: 1-877-4-SARNIA (1-877-472-7642)
Reporting for WGRT – Jessie Wiegand