Federal Grants for Home Repairs

Home repairs can be a source of financial stress for low income seniors. Thanks to a Federal Community Development Block Grant, Port Huron households that fall within federally established income levels and have a household resident over the age of 62, may be able to get some relief.  

Income eligible seniors who reside in the city of Port Huron can apply for a grant to pay for emergency repairs. Those repairs can include roof replacement, furnace repairs, plumbing updates, and other repairs that can be valued at up to $5,000. Seniors or their caregivers can apply for the grants through the City of Port Huron Community Development Office by calling 810-984-9736. Individuals will need to make an appointment once they have filled out the application. With winter coming, now is the time to make sure seniors’ homes are ready for the cold and the snow. There is no deadline to apply.  The program is ongoing as long as there are funds available. Community Development Block Grants are provided by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development and are intended to assist low to moderate income families.

Reporting for WGRT, Karly Hurley.