In Blair Township, a community just south of Traverse City, a family exited their home safely this month after recently installing carbon monoxide detectors. The family was at home one evening when one of the detectors indicated high levels of carbon monoxide. At that point, they left the home and avoided the escalating buildup of carbon monoxide from a faulty stove. The carbon monoxide detector was one of the thousands installed by local fire departments over the last several months through a grant coordinated by MI Prevention. NI Prevention is a statewide fire safety campaign organized by the State Fire Marshal, the Bureau of Fire Services and Michigan’s fire safety organizations.
The effort to install detectors has resulted in more than 21,000 smoke alarms and almost 6,500 carbon monoxide detectors added to homes throughout the state. Funding for the initiative came from a competitive, one-year, $525,000 Fire Prevention and Safety grant through the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland Security along with a five percent match from the state of Michigan. If local residents need updated carbon monoxide or smoke detectors, they can check with their local Fire Department to see if they are eligible to participate in the program. As a reminder, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that causes “flu-like” symptoms in low amounts and can kill people and animals who breathe it in large amounts.