Transmission of COVID-19 is widespread throughout Michigan, including St. Clair County. There is also widespread virus activity in the Province of Ontario, including the Sarnia-Lambton area. Confirmed cases are as follows:
- State of Michigan: 9,334 confirmed cases; 337 deaths
- St. Clair County: 42 confirmed cases
- Ontario: 2,392 confirmed cases; 37 deaths
- Sarnia-Lambton: 56 confirmed cases; 6 deaths
The Joint Information Center in St. Clair County reports that Michigan hospitals are becoming overwhelmed with patients. When preparing for possible pandemic situations in the past, hospitals established mutual aid agreements to ensure the standard of care was maintained in the event of such a disaster. The purpose of a mutual aid agreement is to allow for transfer and acceptance of patients and sharing of resources.
Dr. Annette Mercatante, Medical Health Officer for the St. Clair County Health Department, stated, “We cannot stress enough, the purpose of accepting transfer patients into our local hospitals is to save lives and provide the best possible medical care to patients with COVID. This process is critical and will allow all hospitals to keep running.”
Lambton Public Health is reporting that some of their confirmed cases have been linked to travel to Europe, others are linked to family and faith community gatherings, and a limited number to occupational settings. Officials are urging people to follow social distancing directives. They are further recommending that all individuals over 70 years old self-isolate, and remind the public that the province has closed all outdoor recreational amenities.
Please continue to reputable sources for information on COVID-19:
- Centers for Disease Control: cdc.gov/coronavirus
- State of Michigan: Michigan.gov/coronavirus or Info Hotline 1-888-535-6136 Daily 8:00 am – 5:00 pm or email questions to
- St. Clair County Health Department: COVID-19 Info Hotline (810) 966-4163 Mon – Fri, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm or email questions to
- St. Clair County Community Mental Health COVID-19 Support Line (810) 985-8900, available Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Lambton Public Health: https://lambtonpublichealth.ca/2019-novel-coronavirus/
- City of Sarnia COVID-19 Hotline: 1-877-4-SARNIA (1-877-472-7642)
Reporting for WGRT – Jessie Wiegand