Suspect Shot After Breaking Into Clyde Twp. Barn

Cylde Twp, MI —  A man who was caught breaking in to a pole barn in Clyde Township was shot after allegedly driving his vehicle at the owner of the property.

Deputies from the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office were called to the 6000 block of Lapeer Road Monday afternoon shortly after 3:30.  Dispatch told deputies that there was a breaking and entering in progress.  While they were enroute, they were told that shots had been fired at the scene of the break-in and the suspect had fled the location in his vehicle.

A deputy went to the property, while other deputies searched the area for the suspect, who was driving a black Dodge Avenger.  The deputy located the property owner, a 50 year old man from Port Huron, in front of the barn.  When asked to explain what had happened, the man said he had made a report to Michigan State Police on Sunday about the barn being broken into.  He said he came back earlier Monday and discovered more of his property sitting outside the pole barn.  He decided to wait to see if the suspect would return.  When the suspect, a 23 year old man from Port Huron Township, came back to the property, the man, who was armed with a pistol, called dispatch and decided to try to stop suspect from leaving.  The property owner said the suspect jumped into his car and drove at him. The man said he shot his pistol at the vehicle in self-defense.  It was later discovered that the suspect had been shot in the face.

The suspect vehicle was located a short time later.  It had driven through a barrier for the Wadhams to Avoca Bike Trail, went off the trail and was located behind a residence on Bartlett Road that belonged to a relative.  The suspect then took off in a vehicle that was parked in the yard.

Deputies and members of the Port Huron Police Major Crimes Unit went to the suspect’s residence, where they located bloody clothing.  While at the residence, they were told the suspect was being driven to McLaren Port Huron Hospital.  Deputies and members of the Major Crimes Unit located the suspect in the emergency room at the hospital.

The investigation has been turned over to the Major Crimes Unit.

Submitted by the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office